Sunday, February 6, 2011

Second Stripe

Howdy howdy! Yesterday I earned my second stripe in my jiu-jitsu class. Now I'm a second level noob! That class is so much fun and now I'm starting to catch a few submissions. I'm taking my instructors advice and focusing on two or three moves to go for every time I roll. As of now I'm most comfortable fighting off my back with my opponent in my guard. I'm learning how to move on my back to keep my opponents in my guard as I work for submissions. When on top, my balance isn't very good yet so I get swept to my back easily and I don't know as many submissions from the top position. Hey, just more to improve on!

Yesterday was also the UFC fight between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort. Sidenote: I've been more stoked for the UFC fight than for the Super Bowl. But damn, that front kick Silva landed to knock out Belfort was awesome! I mean, who does a front kick to the face and scores a knock out?! Front kicks are usually defensive kicks used to control the distance. But a knock out?? Yeah, Anderson Silva is that good. But I know his secret. When he entered the arena I noticed that Steven Segal was part of his crew. At that point it was just over! No chance! I mean, Anderson now had Segal-vision. I swear, Segal was levitating in the audience and when he whispered "front kick" the knockout came. I think the only thing that could possibly counter the Segal-infused power that Anderson Silva was granted would be Chuck Norris.

Anyway, I watched the fight with some friends at Roundtable Pizza. Awesome pizza, beer, UFC fights...good times! After the fights we walked over to Dukes and had a few more drinks. Even better times as chants of "IN THE FACE!!" echoed at our table. And we all agree that we need to practice front kicks because they're deadly.

Right now I'm relaxing at home wathcing the Super Bowl. At the moment it's 17-21, Green Bay but the Steelers have momentum and are mounting a comeback. It's a pretty good game. The commercials aren't all that great. At most they encourage a chuckle. I've also been working on some writing and just updated my Hunters blog. But mostly I've been reflecting about how going to jiu-jitsu training with a hangover isn't a very good idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment