Monday, February 13, 2012

Great Aloha Run Training - Week 6

Last week I was able to get back to a few workouts and I was able to maintain that momentum this week. Here's how the training went:

Monday – I did about forty minutes of stretching. My flexibility has increased nicely since I started stretching more seriously. By no means does that mean I'm flexible though. I can touch my toes easily enough but my back and hips are still very board-like.

Tuesday – I tried doing an Insanity workout. A friend of mine gave me the entire Insanity program and I've been watching what the workouts are like thinking about trying out the whole 60 day program. So why not try one out? I did an interval workout. It's just a little more than half an hour long and it was intense. My calves were shot before the warmup even ended. I had to take several breaks throughout the workout, sweat was dripping all over the floor, and when it was all over I had to clean my floor. It was a good workout. The only complaint is how sore my calves were from it. In fact they're still a little sore as I write this blog...and it's Sunday!

Wednesday – Swim time at Manoa! My friend James is sticking to his swimming routine. I continued to give him some tips on swimming technique and he asked me what kind of drills he could do to improve his stroke. I told him about the finger-drag and the catch-up. Finger-drag is where you keep the tips of your fingers in the water as you bring your arm out of the water during the recovery phase of the arm-stroke. The drill works on the recovery phase because your elbow should be the first thing out of the water and it should always be higher than your wrist. Catch-up is where you start in the streamline position with both arms out in front. One arm is held in the streamline position as the other does an entire arm-stroke. When that arm completes the stroke and returns to the streamline position you switch arms. This drill is meant to work on maintaining good streamlined posture so you move more easily through the water. As for my workout, I hit a pretty good stride. Usually at the Manoa pool I swim no more than 200 meters at a time...I get tired and need a rest. But this time I felt good and was able to do a few sets of 300 meters, and once for 400 meters. In total I swam 1800 meters, a little over a mile. Not too bad with a pair of burning calves.

Thursday – I planned on swimming at the Salt Lake pool with some friends but it was canceled because the pool's heater was broken. Probably a good call because that water is cold enough even when it's heated. Instead we went and ate pizza for dinner. Another good call!

Friday – Rest day, no workout.

Saturday – I did a brief workout at home consisting of push ups and core exercises. Been a while since I've done push ups, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't too hard. I did 100 total. The core exercises included crunches, and some jiu-jitsu drills (triangles). Just a quick workout.
I searched "cardio" in Google Images and found this.

Sunday – I did some stretching for about 15 minutes then did the P90X abs workout. It's 16 minutes of non-stop core work. Only once I've gotten through the entire thing without taking a break. Today...lots of breaks! I'm expecting my abs to be sore tomorrow.

I didn't go for a run this past week but the workouts I did were pretty good. The way I swam on Tuesday gives me confidence that my cardio is still there. That was never really an issue. Since I began training for the Great Aloha Run I've believed that my lungs will hold up fine. My legs will fail before my lungs do. The Aloha Run is in one week. I want to get at least one run in early this week, do a few other workouts, and then stop by Friday to give plenty of time to rest and recover. Should be a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment