Sunday, January 27, 2013

GAR Training - Week 4

One month into training and it was time to start picking up the pace in my runs. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Here's what did:

Monday – Hiking
Tuesday – Rest
Wednesday – Rest
Thursday – Light weightlifting, jiu-jitsu training
Friday – Rest
Saturday – jiu-jitsu (sparring)
Sunday – 8 mile run, jiu-jitsu (sparring)
 
The hike on Monday offered a great change up. It was a trail I've never done before, there was a lot of climbing involved, and the pace was uptempo. Good stuff.
 
There was lots of rest days this week. That's because on Tuesday I woke up feeling like I was getting sick. By Wednesday night I was feeling better (gotta love that immune system). Friday I had family in town and that comes before running.
 
Sunday's run was pretty nice. I tried out one of the GAR In-Training Workshops, first one I've ever been to. It's a great way to get in a training run for any level of runner. There's a walking group, jogging group, jog/walk interval groups, and a runner group. Each group has a coach to lead it and the coaches are really friendly and motivating. Pick the group you want to go in and get your training on!
 
I jumped in with the runners, there was 5 of us, and got to it. A little over a mile in the coach gave us options: we could follow the planned route (about 7 miles), or go farther. I had a good pace with one of the other guys and he decided to do the farther, 8 mile route, so I went with him. We finished in a little over an hour. Don't know my exact time because apparently I don't know how to use my new watch correctly and I accidentally reset the timer a few times.
 
My legs held up all right during the 8 mile run but I know I'm not in condition to break an hour yet. This week I'll have to do a few speed-focused runs. Gotta go faster to get faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment