Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hiking Pu'u Piei

It was hiking time today. Haven't been on one in a while and I was looking forward to it. We hiked the Pu'u Piei trail in Kahana Valley. It's a “short” 4 mile trail that took us around 4 hours to complete because it's almost all uphill. It didn't help that the recent rain made the ground nice and slick.
 
One of the most adventurous moments of the hike came early: finding the trail head. My friend Kalani was navigating via “description from some guy's blog” and it took a while to find the trail. We had to go down one trail, count off so many telephone poles then take a left, look for some ribbons tied to trees, find some trail that led to a bench (why there is a bench in the middle of the jungle brush I have no idea), then find some small trail through the brush that linked up with the actual hiking trail. Got it? We ended up going back into Kahana Valley to double check the map there and somebody at the information center helped us out with directions. He told us pretty much the same thing. Big help...

The guy that helped us out had me a little concerned about the hike because he kept warning us to be careful. He told us the rains made the ground really slick and people have been getting hurt on the trial. He even told us how to give directions to the authorities in case we needed to be airlifted out. They guy was legitimately concerned for us. It had me a little worried. But on we went!
 
Eventually we found the hidden bench and the trail. Going up wasn't all too bad. We climbed some rocks, trucked it through some mud, and came across a few rope sections when things got sketchy. Climbing up is usually the easy part. At one point Kalani pointed out that we were actually on a ridge. He was right, there was just so many trees and shrubs that we couldn't tell. Mildly freaky but no big deal.
 
We reached the top of the trail and took a break to eat some food and drink some water. I had me some coconut water, good stuff! We discovered that the trail kept going a bit further to the summit of the mountain so we followed it up and up some more. We didn't make it to the summit though. The wind was gusting, the ridge was getting narrower with every step, and there were no more trees to hide the fall. Falling to the left would lead to a painful death, falling to the right would lead to certain death. Better safe than sorry. We took in the view for a bit, a gorgeous panoramic of Kahana Valley and the bay, and then turned back.
 
Going down is always trickier than getting up. At one point I was climbing down some rocks and I had to hug the rock face. I was freaking out because I couldn't spot where my feet were stepping. Just had to feel my way down and go slowly. This was still at a point where certain death waited if I fell to either side. It didn't help that my “hiking” shoes are actually a pair of 3 year old running shoes that have been worn down smooth. Absolutely no traction on those things. Even when we out of the sketchy areas I was still slipping all over the place. Luckily I was able to regain my balance each time and kept from falling. Note to self, get some real hiking shoes.
 
When we were nearly at the bottom of the trail I noticed that my legs stung. I checked them out and wasn't all that surprised to find them bleeding a little and all cut up. Had to be from all the lauhala leaves we walked through. The lauhala leaf has spines all along its edge, it's the saw of the plant world. Another note to self, get some hiking pants.

Instead of following the trail out the way we came, we took a shortcut. Well, more like we made a shortcut. The highway was less than 100 feet away so we bypassed the mosquito infested pathway back to Kahana Valley and just cut through the jungle and we were out. Good hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment